Walnut shell is a lightweight, angular abrasive. Walnut shell is most commonly used to polish or clean a surface. It is suitable to use on soft substrates like aluminum, wood, plastic, and composites. Walnut shell could be used in place of plastic media in some applications. Due to its friability, any walnut shell media left inside the part will typically break down with minimal damage. Walnut shell is a good consideration when blasting components used in food preparation equipment cleaning.
- Fire or smoke restoration
- Removing paint or baked-on carbon deposits from ferrous metals
- Brick restoration or graffiti removal
- Stripping, deburring, or cleaning of soft substrates
- Blasting to remove very light contaminants
- Polishing in mass finishing processes