Plastic blasting media is a versatile abrasive media that can be used in a variety of applications. It is a lightweight, angular-shaped media most commonly used in the removal of paint or other coatings without harm to delicate substrates such as aluminum or composites.
Plastic media is created from either recycled plastic products or resin. The most common plastic media types are polyester (type I), urea (type II), melamine (type III), or acrylic (type V). Each type has a different hardness to meet the application need.
- Mold cleaning
- Contaminant removal
- Paint or coating stripping, particularly in the aerospace industry
- Deflashing of plastic or rubber parts
- Cleaning of delicate parts
- Angular or blocky shape
- Polyester (type I) – approx. 3.0 Mohs
- Urea (type II) – approx. 3.5 Mohs
- Melamine (type III) – approx. 4.0 Mohs
- Acrylic (type V) – approx. 3.5 Mohs
- Light bulk density, lends to high velocity when used in blast equipment
- Available in mixed grits
- Military spec sizing also available